To Amuse and Delight

Monday, November 16, 2015

Eating Acorns

The day I found those Giant Puffballs we were actually out collecting acorns. My husband was interested in learning how to make them palatable since we have so many in this area. He is into trees the way I am into healing plants. 
The White Oak is the one to collect, they are naturally less bitter.

First we froze them, that made the skins come off easier. The skin is the layer just under the shell. My husband shelled them.

Next began the process of  making acorn flour. There are different ways to do that. First the bitter tannins must be removed. Some people boil the acorns multiple times until the water runs clear. We went with a non cooked method of leaching out those tannins. 
First we ground them up in the wet Vitamix. More water was added to them in a jar and this sat for 24 hours. Each 24 hours fresh water replaced the old until the water was clear.

Once the tannins were cleared out, we dehydrated the wet acorn meal. I have an Excaliber 4 tray. It came out really nice, nutty and tasty. (I snacked on some.) The grain was quite rough still, so we ground it to flour consistency in the dry Vitamix. It is came out very smooth, with a feel and look of cocoa powder.

My first test was on some cookies. Some GF friends were dropping by for tea. I grabbed everything that I had that was GF and went to work experimenting. 
I kept it simple, much like a shortbread: butter, sugar, vanilla, with cashew meal, acorn and oat flours. They were so good! Even the smallest of humans wanted more, which is really how I judge a "healthy" cookie.

Next was a recipe from the book Acorn Pancakes, Dandelion Salad, and 38 Other Wild Recipes. A simple classic, pancakes with butter and maple syrup. The acorn is so mild and nutty. It doesn't have that extra bitter taste that many of the darker grains have.

Yesterday's yummy breakfast. I had some leftover pancake batter. I waffled it and topped it with butter and smoked salmon. Again, it came out really good. 
Acorn flour is a winner!I love the idea of eating wild foods that man has not tampered with. Everything that fed that tree is now feeding me and my family. It is nutritionally excellent and it is extremely tasty and versatile. Oh, and the acorns were free!

3 comments:

  1. Fascinating! How many acorns did you collect and how much flour did you end up getting? I just love how you try new things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi 2B's-
      2 lbs of acorns with shells makes .75 lbs flour. You can gather them when they fall from the trees and freeze them. That way they'll stay fresh until you have the time to go through the process.

      Delete
  2. So fun! We had acorn fever a few years ago but found them to be very bitter. Of course, we were working off of what we had read about people eating them hundreds of years ago, so now I can't wait to try your method! So much easier and clearly a better result.
    I just want to mention that Oatmeal is no longer pure in the US, so it is not a gluten free grain unless it is specifically labeled as such. Being such a foodie, you may already know that, but just in case you didn't, now you do. My kids got "glutened" a couple of times by well meaning people who were just simply unaware of this fact.
    We miss you guys! We would love to have you up. There is a great little hike/walk I'd like to share with you near our house. Call or e-mail me when you are free. xo

    ReplyDelete