To Amuse and Delight

Monday, November 5, 2012

I cook

I found something out about myself as hurricane Sandy blew. I realized that when something scary or unknown happens, I cook. As the hurricane started to really kick in, I began making soup. As I was cooking it brought back a strong memory of 9/11. That day was scary, I had absolutely no idea what was happening. I starting making soup. My thinking was that if my husband did make it home he might bring people with him. People who can't get to their homes, or whose homes are now gone. A big pot of soup can sit patiently for a very long time, waiting to be a comfort. On 9/11, it was lentil. For Sandy it was split pea.
 I am not one who sits around fretting. I have to keep things moving forward, trying in any small way to aid the situation. It was interesting that during Sandy one thing that gave me peace was knowing that I had a pretty good store of food. If we lost power (amazingly we didn't this time) I was set for a while to feed my family and whoever else may need a place to stay. I do love my gas stove, when we lose power I can cook. The kettle is always ready for tea! I have these jars of ginger peach jam that I made a couple of months ago after a day of peach picking. Friends of mine who just got their power back today were able to have a warm bed and do some laundry at my house. I was low on maple syrup for breakfast pancakes, so I opened up one of my jams.  It gave me a tiny glimpse into how the pioneer women and the Native American women must have felt as winter approached. Sure things would get tough, the cold winds would blow, but knowing that they at least could provide food to their families would make the unknown much less frightening. There is a certain peace that comes with being prepared and it allows you to be a help to others.

3 comments:

  1. Yes to all of this! And you really are a help to others in so many ways.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Eve,
    This is such an insightful post there are lessons to be learned from this! The way you thought/think ahead...of the needs of others (your family and potential guests to shelter from the storm)...is a great reminder to all of us that life can be uncertain at times and to have a stocked larder (perhaps with a little extra for those in need) is a wise thing indeed...as well as a comfort. It's also a gentle nudge to action for those who're prone to procrastination. :)
    Love,
    Tracey
    x0x
    P.S. Your peach and ginger jam look/sound aaamazing!

    ReplyDelete