To Amuse and Delight

Monday, August 4, 2014

Berries are Back!

The berries are back. I've posted before about my compulsion to pick. It seems like every time we go for a nature walk these days we end up stuck (literally!) picking berries. Blackberries and wild raspberries are ready to go right now. We get all scratched up and sticky. We battle thorns, poison ivy and spider webs. We need tick checks when we get home (we have lots of nasty ticks here). But we still go into the thickets because it's fun and the reward of wild berries is worth it.
We were lucky to find a running stream to wash off our very sticky hands.
I have been making a lot of berry crumbles, the days have been fairly cool for this time of year and I'm in the mood to bake. I use oats, coconut sugar, butter and whatever flour I happen to grind up. I keep coconut, wheat berries, and other grains in the freezer to make into quick flours in the Vitamix.
Yummy berry scones for tea.
 I am out of berries, so we will be off and picking again later this week. I am always on the lookout for more yummy berry recipe ideas, so if you have any please do share!

1 comment:

  1. Eve, your berry treats look awesome! How blessed to be able to pluck God's free food. Isn't he just the best!? Stay clear of all things that would taint the fun of picking. We have nasty (BIG) spiders in berry thickets that are here.

    Enjoy all of the goodness!

    ReplyDelete